One-day workshops to be held at Charleville and Cunnamulla later this month will provide participants
with essential skills to respond to drug and alcohol misuse issues.
The two one-day Drug and Alcohol First Aid workshops are being delivered in a partnership between the
South West Hospital and Health Service and Western Queensland Primary Health Network.
South West HHS Alcohol and Other Drugs Service Community Prevention Officer Michael Reddan said
the workshops were designed for government and non-government workers in the community sector.
Mr Reddan said the material delivered in the workshops had been developed by specialist communitybased
drug and alcohol service provider Lyndon – Lives Lived Well.
The organisation delivers drug and alcohol residential and community-based programs and activities, as
well as mental health support, across New South Wales and Queensland.
“The training is free and will deliver up to date and essential information to participants about drug and
alcohol misuse,’’ he said.
“It will introduce participants to substances and their effects, detail how to respond to drug and alcohol
issues appropriately and educate participants in the various treatment options available.’’
Mr Reddan said once the course had been completed, participants would be better equipped to:
- Recognise problematic drug and alcohol use;
- Describe the impacts of problematic drug and alcohol use;
- Identify the types of drug and alcohol treatments that are effective in reducing use;
- Support people who have drug and alcohol problems.
The workshops will be held at:
- Charleville: 21 August, Charleville Neighbourhood Centre, 114–118 Alfred St, from 9 am to 3.30
pm, with registration at 8.45 am.
- Cunnamulla: 22 August at the Drop In Centre, 56 Jane St, from 9 am to 3.30 pm, with
registration at 8.45 am.
Mr Reddan said the training was free and lunch would be provided.
“However, places are limited, so bookings are essential,’’ he said.
- Interested participants should contact Michael Reddan at Community and Allied
Health Roma on 4624 2977, or Nick Meumann at Lyndon – Lives Lived Well on
02 6361 2300, or email: email@example.com
- To register for Charleville, visit: https://charlevilledafa.eventbrite.com.au
- To register for Cunnamulla, visit: https://cunnamulladafa.eventbrite.com.au
For further information contact:
Principal Media Officer, Rural and Remote Qld
Media and Communication
Department of Health
(07) 3708 5379