Healthy Communities is all about how we live our lives in rural and remote communities. Through our partnerships with local people, partners and wider stakeholders, we aim to:
- empower South West communities through increased awareness of factors that create healthy lifestyles
- enable community members to identify and seek to address issues of concern to them
- support communities to take part in tailored health programs.
Initiatives we support
Our team are passionate about improving the health and wellbeing of the South West community.
We offer free community education and engagement opportunities for schools, workplaces, community groups and sporting clubs, specialising in:
- physical activity
- early years
- alcohol and tobacco
- health promotion
- wider public relations and marketing.
Nutrition plays a vital role in physical wellbeing. We take pride in helping communities gain skills to prepare and provide healthy meals and sustainable food supplies for themselves and their families. To do this, we work with and run initiatives such as:
- Jamie’s Ministry of Food
- Cooking for 1 & 2
- Mums and Bubs nutrition program
- Virtual healthy lifestyles
- Food supply and access.
Physical activity plays a major role in improving the health of our communities. To support this, we work with and run initiatives such as:
Families and Children
Giving all our children a great start to life is essential. To support this, we work with and run initiatives to support families and children in our communities, including:
Alcohol and Tobacco
Alcohol and tobacco education initiatives, including:
- Think the Drink
- QLD Police Drink Rite Night
- Ditch the Durries.
Other Health Initiatives
Through collaboration and co-design of community-based initiatives we continue to promote health to our people in ways that work for them.
- Australian Country Choice Beef staff wellness
- Fleming’s Oil and Gas Industry Services Toolbox Talks
- Men’s Shed.
Find out more
For information about our initiatives contact us at SWHHS-Healthy-Communities@health.qld.gov.au.
Work with us
If you’re a business and you have an idea for an initiative, you can contact us through our online form.