Acknowledgement of Country
The South West Hospital and Health Service acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of this country and recognise their connection to land, wind, water and community.
We pay our respect to them, their culture, and to the Elders both past and present and emerging.
The Council is our peak staff advisory body that supports us in providing culturally appropriate health care in communities.
Members work to ensure:
- our strategic decisions recognise the needs of local communities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples - this can help us create culturally safe practices
- we continue to create an environment that builds trust among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The Council reports to the Health Service Chief Executive.
The Council is chaired by the Director Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health and Engagement.
Members include some of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff, members of our Executive Team and the following key partners:
- Charleville and Western Areas Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Health
- Cunnamulla Aboriginal Corporation for Health
- Goondir Health Services
- Surat Aboriginal Corporation.
Health Equity Strategy
Our Health Equity Strategy outlines our commitment to identifying and responding to the health needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Find out more about our Health Equity Strategy.